Saturday, June 03, 2006

Time flies

We went to Longhorn's last night for dinner. We brought the kids (what were we thinking?). It all came rushing back to me that we are in that window of time where we don't set foot in a restaurant WITH CHILDREN. But we winged it, although I kept glancing around to see if people were gawking at us when one of the kids would say something a little too loud. (Thank goodness for noisy, country music-playing restaurants!) Our table happened to be right next to a table with a couple of little old ladies. I, of course, get nervous around old people when the children are there. They usually give us dirty looks or want to switch tables. But Ethan, being the charmer that he is, was flirting with them and waving to them. He must have won them over because when they were leaving they stopped by our table and told us how cute the kids were and how well behaved they were. Wow! How encouraging that was to hear (and how convicted I feel as I write this of how judgmental I was!). I get so worked up about what other people are thinking, and I forget that they are just kids. Kids=full of energy Mom=tired
Oy! The time flies part. After the lady complimented us on the kids' behavior, she said, "Enjoy them. Before you know it, you're here"(and she pointed to herself.) It really never ceases to amaze me at how quickly the kids are growing up. Yeah, they're only 4 and 2, but it doesn't seem like it took very long to get here. I want to bottle up their sweetness so I can savor it every now and then when they grow up and leave home. They'll always be my babies!

1 comment:

Amy Ross said...

Yummy, I want Longhorns... I dread the day when we take all three of the boys out for dinner! Until then, Hip, hip, hooray for take-out! Sorry we missed you at church yesterday, the boys (and Chris) were pretty darn sick. Maybe we can get together later this week, if we are all healthy!