Thursday, January 21, 2010

Kim is a Clueless Geek

We went camping this weekend with two families in our neighborhood. We've made it a yearly thing, but normally we go in the fall. This year it got changed to the winter, and the weekend before we were to go it was C.O.L.D. Now all you non-South Floridians-I don't want to hear it! When the temperature during the day in South Florida doesn't get above 60 degrees-that's COLD! (for us) So you can imagine our apprehension about tent camping in 30 degree weather. We decided to split an RV with one of the other families (the third fam has a pop up camper). LOVED IT! The question on our minds as we drove back from camping was - How does one go camping again in a tent after camping in this rolling house??

Our destination was Camp Canaveral. It's about 45 minutes north of Vero Beach. We chose this area because we all wanted to go to Kennedy Space Center. (Listen closely because this is where the geek part comes in...) We went to KSC and I LOVED IT! The rockets, the moon rocks, the astronauts, the space suits, the shuttles, the launch pads... SO COOL!!! Some are in awe of the Grand Canyon. Others shed a tear when listening to a moving piece by Mozart. My jaw hit the ground when I saw the ginormous rocket boosters on the Saturn V. G.E.E.K. It's all coming together for me now.
*My neverending craving for new school supplies
*My intense desire to take notes wherever I go
*The fact that my OCD kicks into gear and I must match my shoes with my purse
*And now the Kennedy Space Center.
I am a clueless geek.

Nevertheless, here are some pictures of our fun family trip.


Bus driver Matt

We celebrated Ethan's and Ed's (one of the neighbors) birthdays.

Future astronaut Ethan and daddy walking towards the Explorer Space Shuttle.



The inside of the rented "house on wheels".


Matt's new look (just making sure you're paying attention...)

Saturn V

This is the Space Shuttle Endeavour on the launch pad. (All you can see of it is the orange tip of the solid rocket booster.) It will taking it's last night launch on Sunday, Feb. 7th at 4:39 a.m. We're planning on going up for this launch.

Manchas, Mia's boyfriend

Mia, our lovey pup

3 comments:

The Crazy Lady said...

We have been talking about renting a camper (that's the closest to actual camping I will get)! Can you give me some details...like was it hard to drive...was the gas outrageous....was two nights enough time in it?
THANKS!

Brad & Stacey said...

Love it! Let's rent cabin at Oleta or an RV this summer!

Shannon said...

Can't go back. Ever. When I was a kid... We started in a tent. It rained. We got a pop up camper. Then went to a little van-sized camper thing. Ended up with a full sized RV, which came in handy for my parents after hurricane Andrew! It's just so much better to have a toilet and shower close by!

Looks like a cool trip. Happy Birthday Ethan!!!