I watched my heart walk into school today with his big sister. My little guy, with a backpack that measures half his height, followed his sissy through the school gates today. Matt and I were all set to walk him to class, just in case he got lost. But he informed us that he wanted Kenzie to walk with him.
So we went to school with them yesterday, their first day. We walked the big second grader to class and met her teacher. After going into the classroom with her, she walked away to her new desk and didn't look back. (I didn't get a chance to say 'have a great day'. But I understand because I was just like her when I was in school.) Then we went downstairs to take Ethan to class. You would have thought I was selling him to his teacher because it felt like I wouldn't see him again. She asked us to come inside and get him situated. After getting him settled at his table we watched him draw a picture, and we waited with him for awhile until he looked up at us and said, "Are you going to leave?" After a few more minutes, we took that as our cue, gave him kisses and left him. I was strong...for awhile. He had a great day, and he told us that it was his 'best day ever'. Well okay then!
So after watching my heart walk into school today, I realized that I have to let go a little and let him grow up. I think I'm having growing pains.
(I'll post pictures soon!)
3 comments:
Sniff...sniff...
Such a sweet post, Kim! It's always difficult to realize our babies are growing up and need us just a little bit less. Be proud that your kids are confident to take on school on their own!
Oh the memories. Precious.
Post a Comment