Mackenzie's First Day
My baby went to school today! I have been so nervous this summer, thinking about my little girl going off to school. How did we get to this day so quickly?? Everytime I would pass her school, I would think-It'll be forever until she gets there. Yeah right! Last night as we got all of her things in order, I got out my first day of school picture. I had my Dorothy Hammill haircut, smocked Polly Flinders dress, my pencil box that looked like a pair of jeans, and my vinyl Snoopy dog house purse. Dressed to the nines I was all set and so excited to go to school. My teacher's name was Mrs. King. I told her all about it (except I left out the part about how I didn't cry or hang onto my mom in case she was thinking about doing that-WHICH SHE DID NOT. Like mother like daughter.)
She ran into our room this morning all dressed in her uniform. With her little braids and ribbons she ate her bagel and I still couldn't believe that I was going to take her to school. I might as well have been taking her to high school because only big kids go to her school, and she's still little! All right, I'm okay. So, she finished breakfast, we took the necessary first day of school photos, and we were out the door. By the way, Matt stayed home today, and I am so grateful that he did. We got to her school and we took her to her classroom. In my head this whole time I was thinking big kids, little Kenzie. But in her class it was all little kids, little Kenzie. I introduced her to the teacher, and she showed her where to put her things. I wish I had taken a picture of her looking around. She wouldn't say that she was nervous but clearly, she was as she was twirling her little braids. We left the room, and I was a little teary eyed. I'm a goober. Afterwards we went to Cracker Barrel for a BooHoo breakfast because, NEWSFLASH!, I eat my feelings.
Here we are now. She has probably eaten her lunch by now. She has probably had circle time and reading and possibly math. The teacher has gone over the rules with them (at least 3 times), and I am making her sugar cookies. Why? Because when I would drive by her then-future school when Kenzie was 1, I would think someday when she's big Kenzie and she comes home from school, I will have an after school snack waiting for her, like fresh baked cookies, and she'll watch an ABC afterschool special. Oh wait! That's when I was in elementary school. Besides, I don't think she should watch those yet, and I'll weigh a ton if I make fresh cookies every day. So, she'll have to settle with some grapes and SpongeBob.
Mommy's First Day of School - August 1979
7 comments:
You sort of look like Ethan on your first day of school...or he looks like you with a wig! We prayed for a good day!
Love ya!
Stacey
P.S. I could totally eat some Cracker Barrel hashbrown casserole, some blueberry pancakes and some BACON! I'm drooling just thinking about it...ugh! I miss you and a lot of the foods in America!:)
Awww! I wish I had pictures of my first day of school (thanks, Hurricane Andrew). She looks so cute. I guess you had tons of time on your hands (with just one kid all day) to dig out that hilarious picture of yourself! Haha! I had Polly Flinders dresses AND the DH haircut, too. Weren't those days awesome?
See you soon! Love, Shan
PS - I do miss me some Cracker Barrel, too - we'll have to go when we get back.
Ok, you had ME crying reading your blog...Hope her day was GREAT!! Our day was pretty good.
And I LOVE your first day picture. I had a strawberry shortcut dress and lunch box and the same hair cut as you! Too funny.
One day Kenzie will look back at this blog and laugh at her picture! Love you guys!
Wow! Time has gone by so fast!! I remember holding her when she was just a few months old. She was so tiny!
I remember game night one night at your parents house and Matt was throwing Mackenzie up in the air and she was laughing. Benjie started asking Matt all these questions about when do you feel comfortable enough to do that! Matt was like you'll be fine and he was right! Benjie just told that story to my sister and brother-in-law as they are very nervous about their new baby!
They all grow up so fast!
We'll be praying for all to adjust to school!
Mackenzie looks SO CUTE in her uniform. I can't believe she's going to school either!! Our babies are growing up. BTW, I also had the haircute in Kindergarten, my dress was white with blue/red/yellow flowers on it and I only went 1/2 day so I didn't have a lunch box, but in first grade I had a smocked yellow dress and a Pigs In Space lunch box. Which I clutched mercilessly on the bus while I cried silently to myself because I had to sit on a 5th graders lap. Ah, sweet memories. Thanks for reminding me.
aww, Mac-Z! i love that you made her an afterschool snack. you are an amazing mom. oh, and eating your feelings? that must be a family trait. thanks aunt carol and mom!
I wish I had pics of school too. Thanks Mom.
Never heard of Polly Flinders.
I have one comment for your do. ONe I used to sing to Lonnie: "Fro Child, never meant to be" to the tune of "love child."
Seriously, I had a fro too. In 7th grade at Pines the black girls used to say "you gotta wig on? I know you gotta wig on. Is that a wig?" It was that and, " I could hold your lunch money?" So embeerrassing.
Post a Comment