Thursday, August 16, 2007

Hurricanes

Hurricane season. What can I say? I really thought we would be hanging with all our FFF (former Floridian friends) this summer in our new home in GA holding a hurricane party to celebrate our not being part of the hurricanes. A little bbq and beer and we're good to go. BUT...we are here in Florida with our FF (Floridian friends)and (thinking about) stocking up in case of a hurricane. Not to mislead you! I am content and life is good. Then I turn on the tv and have to endure a week's worth of hurricane tracking, and all I can do is dream about a place where there are no local weather forecasters who go out in the middle of a Cat 4 storm to show the people who have no power what a monster of a storm it really is! Or a place where your $500 generator won't be stolen out of your garage if you happen to keep your garage door open for a few minutes to bring the groceries in. (That didn't happen to me but stories like these were all over the news last year!)I'm not bitter! I promise. However, I am counting down until Dec. 1(for all you hurricane virgins out there-that's the end of the hurricane season.)

But that's not what this post is about!! The sarcasm above is really just for laughs and giggles (maybe just my own). A lot of people I know gripe and moan during this season but are perfectly happy after Dec. 1. Me being one of those people. If it
weren't for Hurricane Wilma in '05, we probably wouldn't have gotten to know our neighbors, Maria and Ed and Luis and Luza and their children. Funny enough, we hear stories all over the place about people being forced outdoors during the week after that storm and meeting their neighbors,great friendships forming as a result. We have enjoyed bbq's with our friends, beer and all, and we are even planning a camping trip in October with these two families. If we do experience another hurricane, whether as small as a Cat 1 or as furious as a Cat 5, we know we'll be able to share supplies, food and "hurricane fun" with them. (Just a little bit of sarcasm on the end there.) The pictures I posted are from our 'End of the Summer' bbq last Saturday. It was a blast. We ended our time together by a giant water fight that Matt started. Everyone got the giant water jug over the head and we were SOPPING wet, every single one of us. It was great! Why aren't I in any of the pictures? Because I looked like a wet rat. That's the beauty of being the photographer!









1 comment:

Amy Ross said...

What fun! I am sure that your kids are going to have so many fun memories of these times!