A sea of color, textures. Needles long and needles short. Pumping out hats, mittens, scarves, shrugs, bags, socks. Movements smooth and fluid. I have wanted to learn how to knit for about four years now. My grandma tried to teach me, but the info filtered out four years ago. (I call it youngheimers.) I might consider myself a "crafty" person, of the amateur variety, but crafty none the less. So why can't I get this crap????
My movements, jerky and rough. My fingers have a mind of their own. Where there are supposed to be knots in the yarn, somehow they have made their way into my brain. This craft is most certainly not coming easily to me. Of course, tonight was my first night with the group I have named (in my head) the "Thursday Night Knitting Club". (By the way, have you read the Friday Night Knitting Club? Good book!) Back to the group. This is an intergenerational group of ladies from church. They meet at someone's house, and they've been doing this for about a year now. It started out with just two ladies and has grown into a group of six.
As I sat there trying desperately to "cast on" and "purl", I felt as if I had crossed the border into a different country. What is this language they are speaking? Patterns, rows, counts, huh? But I won't let this craft beat me down. Oh no...I will prevail. And I'll have more scarves than anyone in South Florida.
2 comments:
You can knit me a scarf!!! I am sure you'll get the hang of it and for Christmas you'll be handing out knit socks, knit boxers, knit bikinis... Ha!
Great, uhhh... I'll pass on the bikini, thanks. Kristi really wants a knit g-string though - and hey, that shouldn't take you too long, right?! :)
Post a Comment