Friday, October 31, 2008

Friday Favorites: Most Memorable Halloween Costume

I have always loved dressing up for Halloween. Maybe it's because I started at an early age.


Even as an adult, I look forward to wearing a costume of some sort. Like today, for instance. My class had their Halloween party, and of course, everyone came in their Halloween costumes. What kind of teacher would I be if I didn't show up in a costume, too? So I wore a poodle skirt. I even googled 1950's makeup and watched a few videos on how to apply makeup like they did in the good old days. (I said I liked to dress up, didn't I?) Side note-it didn't matter anyway because none of my students knew what I was. In fact, one of them thought I was a witch.?

In high school during Homecoming Week I had a blast dressing up in my leisure suit, and you better believe I made a fantastic nerd on Nerd Day! (Note the band shoes!)



So when I was thinking about what I would consider my most memorable Halloween costume, I went down the list of costumes I wore growing up. The list is miserably short because my memory is WEAK! Amongst the plastic masks were Cinderella and Strawberry Shortcake. There was a cheerleader, a doctor, a witch. There was also a punk rock star. That was a fun one. I got to spray my hair pink. Then there was that year I went trick or treating in college , and my friend and I took St. Petersburg by storm in our Marching Chiefs costumes. If only I had taken at least one picture of the look of disdain on the faces of those who opened their doors to the two 18 year old band geeks who were holding out their band hats for candy (and we weren't drunk.) Imagine seeing this at your doorstep...




FYI, the Goodwill is a great place to find some "vintage" clothing if you want to attend Disco Night at the hockey game. I held on to this glorious Goodwill find for awhile...


Now, I live vicariously through my children. And I google details when necessary.

4 comments:

mccaigs5 said...

Papi, you're hilarious. Your parents dressed you up as a hobo when you were a baby? I love that you love to dress up. That's cute. Remember when you dressed up Matt like a nerd and sent him to pick me up from the airport the first time I ever met him? I thought you guys were a match made in Heaven. Have fun tonight!

Kim said...

I've dressed Matt up lots of times. Poor Matt! :)

Amy Ross said...

You crack me up. We sure are missing being with you tonight...how many Halloween nights have we spent together at Fall Festival???? Sniff, sniff. Hope you all have a great time.

Shannon said...

you are steeerange! Must be why I like you!