Friday, May 29, 2009

So I went to an Awards Ceremony at Mackenzie's school this morning. Since I needed to get back to school as soon as I could I figured I would watch her, clap a lot, blow her kisses, and run out the door as inconspicuously as possible. I did all that, and just as soon as I was ready to dash I saw her come off the stage and stop at the prize table. She could choose from a necklace coin/key holder, a pencil or the most dreaded one, the school bumper sticker. As my butt got ready to lift itself off of the bench, my head was telling it to sit back down and at the same time, was sending Mack subliminal messages. Get the coin holder, get the pencil, but stay away from the BUMPER STICKER!

(Let me interject something here. I like the bumper stickers that say 'My jack russel (or insert another breed's name) is smarter than your honor student. Some people like to arrange their kid's star student stickers in a cool arrangement. I don't want to. I'm weird like that. So I continue...)

For some reason, Mack's brain always mixes up my messages, and she picked the sticker. Crap! I've been hoping for the past couple of years that the sticker would hold no interest for her. But what first grade girl would pass up a giant sticker? I figured we'd deal with it later so my butt was allowed to get up again and the dashing began.

Fast forward to the car line at dismissal (4 days left, BTW). We talked about her award and how exciting that was, and I casually inserted how cool her new sticker was. She promptly corrected me. Here's how the conversation went down:

M: It's a bumper sticker, mom.

K: Nah, you put that on your bike or on your desk or something.

M: NO, it goes on your car.

K: No, I'm pretty sure you put it on your handle bar.

M: Not convinced and not budging

K: So, it will look nice on Daddy's car.

M: No, it's supposed to go on your car because we go in it more often.
AND, it's really sticky so it won't fall off. AND when Ethan starts at my school next year he'll get one too and we'll each have one on your car.

K: (in my head) Aww, crap - and that's when I heard the gavel hitting the wood. The judgment had been made by the 7 year old in the backseat.

Of course, Matt had to remind me that I did want to Mom My Ride. I just have to make sure my car doesn't end up looking like this one.

4 comments:

Annie @ astonesthrowfrominsanity said...

Even though I am laughing . . . I am soooooo sorry. You must feel the same way I did when I had to finally break down and get a van. I just repeat to myself, "This too shall pass," and "Someday you will laugh about this." Either that or your dog could accidentally eat it, maybe?!?

Kim said...

I wish. No dog...maybe the guinea pigs will attack it if I hold it a little too close to their cage...:)

mccaigs5 said...

LOL. That's all I have to say. Hey, I had to get a minivan AND put a karate sticker on the back of it. So, you're in good company.

Shannon said...

Hey Kim, just so you know... when you click on the link it takes you to my blog, but not to that post. You have to click on the post title so that in the navbar it says the title of the post after the name of the blog, copy that and use it as your link. For future reference :)
Good luck with that sticker. Our rule of law is that they ONLY go on my college trunk. Of course only the cool ones, as approved by me or Jason. Thankfully Coleman's school gave out magnetic ones, so we put that on the fridge. Phew! The guinea pig idea is a good one. Try it!

Playdate next week with Bobbilee!