
The pitiful baby bird

The momma bird is right in the middle of the picture. (It may help to click on the pic to make it larger in order to see her staring angrily at my camera.)
**************WARNING!! LONG- WINDED STORY AHEAD!!!***************
Those of you who know me know that I'm not exactly an animal lover. No mom, I don't hate animals! I just don't want to cuddle up with a stinky, furry, slobbery thing that isn't named Mackenzie or Ethan Cates. 'To each his own' as my Grandmother would say. But then I found a baby bird. Wait. I'm still not exactly an animal lover, but my heart went out to this poor little baby who fell out of his nest and landed on the sidewalk next to my car. He's little, and he still has some of his baby birdie fuzz. His little bird legs are curled up around his head and he has no fur or feathers on his little skinny pink legs. Ahhh! So pathetic!
I don't know much about birds, but I thought that when a baby bird falls out of it's nest, it is 'bye bye birdie' and it's momma won't take care of it anymore. So, being the non-animal lover I am, I scooped it up with one of my kids' sand shovels and, yes mom, gently placed it in a water pitcher. I was afraid it would a)fry in the sun and then b)get eaten by ants. I made sure to put it in the shade closer to my front door, also thinking that maybe it's momma would still be able to see it if she came looking. What do you know? She came looking. Every time I would go outside to check on it, I would see her hopping around near the pitcher, and I think she even tried pulling the baby out.
The day went on, and I kept checking on it. I didn't know what to feed it, short of regurgitating my morning waffle, so I just kept checking. The evening came, and after I had shown all the neighbors my 'show and tell' object for the day, Matt told me I should put it back in the bushes where I found it so it could die. So, with a heavy heart, I did that, thinking that, surely, in the morning it would be dead. (Or eaten and thrown up like the baby's sibling I had seen the morning before. Ewww! Sick!) But lo and behold! When I went to check on it, the baby was still alive, just where I had put it the night before. It seemed really weak, and I thought that for sure, it would be dead by lunch time. A couple of hours later, I found the baby in a different spot, more in the shade. Weird. So I left, and when I came back while I was checking on it, it's momma came back with a worm in it's mouth. Wow!!! She was taking care of her fallen baby. All this time I thought it had been abandoned, but she was taking care it! I was amazed. I can hear you now. wow BUT SERIOUSLY!!! Isn't that cool? I am seriously amazed at how God has made his creatures. And just like that bird momma takes care of her bird baby, our Heavenly Father takes care of us so much more. Ok. This is elementary school stuff. But I think it's pretty cool.
The End.
3 comments:
I love your story, Papi. He takes care of the birds of the air, how much more will He take care of us? P.S. I'm with you about not wanting to snuggle up with a stinky, slobbering something that's not named Hunter, Carter or Parker McCaig.
Instead of Bill Nye the Science Guy, it is Kim Cates, the Biology Mate!!! I'm sending my kids to you for the science lessons. You're such a good mommy.
I think it's cool! Thanks for the reminder that He takes care of us all!
Post a Comment